What You Need to Know about Orthokeratology in Brisbane
If you or your child is struggling with blurry vision and haven’t found a suitable solution in standard contact lenses or eyeglasses, then you may want to consider orthokeratology in Brisbane. Orthokeratology—often abbreviated ‘ortho-K’—is a type of vision treatment that has proved helpful for individuals with refractive errors such as myopia (near-sightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) or astigmatism. Ortho-K uses a special type of hard contact lenses, which users wear overnight while they sleep. Throughout the night, the lenses gently reshape the surface of the cornea, thereby (temporarily) correcting the refractive error and allowing clear vision without requiring patients to wear contacts or glasses during the day.
The Benefits of Orthokeratology in Brisbane
Why should you consider seeing an ortho-K optometrist and discussing the possibility of trying ortho-K lenses? Here are a few of the top benefits of orthokeratology:
- It is ideal for athletes. Many sports make it difficult for athletes to wear glasses or contacts and still perform at peak level. Glasses aren’t an option for contact sports, for example, while contacts can be a big problem for swimmers, surfers or other water sport athletes. Ortho-K for kids is especially popular because it allows young athletes to compete effectively without needing to wear glasses or contacts.
- It is essential for some jobs. Any job that involves working in a dusty environment poses a challenge for individuals with contacts. The dust can get onto the lenses, leading to discomfort, pain, vision problems and even (potentially) eye infection. By providing clear, natural, unassisted vision during the daytime hours, ortho-K lenses solve this problem.
- It is an aid for comfort and confidence. Wearing contacts all day is uncomfortable for some individuals. Wearing glasses all day affects confidence and self-esteem for others, especially teenagers. Ortho-K lenses, while they might feel a bit odd when you first start using them, are comfortable and unobtrusive to wear overnight and allow full comfort during the day, without any need for glasses or contacts.
Tips Regarding Ortho-K in Brisbane
If you are thinking about ortho-K for your kids or yourself, keep these tips in mind to ensure the best results:
- Consult with an experienced ortho-K optometrist. At Fresh Vision Optometrists, we have been working with ortho-K for many years. We know how to assess patients to see if orthokeratology is the right treatment approach, how to fit these lenses effectively, and how to tweak the treatment strategy going forward based on results.
- Know that ortho-K isn’t for everyone. While ortho-K has been effective for the treatment of myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism in the past, that doesn’t mean it is guaranteed to help all individuals with these eye conditions. The more extreme your myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism, the less likely orthokeratology will be to deliver suitable results. Typically, patients with prescriptions between +2.00 and -6.00 are the best candidates.
- Take care of your lenses. As with other types of contacts, your ortho-K lenses will last the longest and deliver the best results if you care for the lenses. Furthermore, lens care is vital to ensure your own eye health. Ask your eye doctor for tips about how to clean, rinse, store and care for your lenses once you are using them each night.
Why Trust Fresh Vision Optometrists as Your Ortho-K Optometrist
Fresh Vision Optometrists has been operating for 30 years. Our current optometrist, Brett, brings more than 18 years of experience to the table. We have seen firsthand how ortho-K can change lives: our operations manager, for instance, has been using ortho-K lenses for a decade. You can trust us to help you find the best vision correction option for you, whether that’s orthokeratology or something else. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.