Benefits of Ortho K Contact Lenses
Experienced contact lens users have likely developed some regular habits regarding lens wearing. Ortho K lenses are a revolution in the world of clear vision in several ways:
- These lenses aren’t designed only to help you while you wear them. If you regularly use these lenses, they function in a similar way to how braces work on your teeth. Stick with these lenses, and they’ll improve your sight even after you remove them.
- In complete contrast to regular contact lenses, you should wear Ortho K lenses while you sleep. In fact, that’s the exclusive way that they work. When you wake up, these lenses will have done their work to help you improve your sight. If you work in dusty environments, are active in sports, or enjoy hiking, then these lenses are helpful to reduce the risk of losing your glasses or contacts while engaged in activities.
- The science behind these lenses is ever-improving, and researchers are developing new features for Ortho K lenses. The latest ones have special functions such as checking blood glucose and eye pressure. These revolutionary lenses not only help you see better, but they provide insight into your overall health.
Contact lenses are for everyone – everyone!
At Fresh Vision we love contact lenses! Our principal optometrist, Brett Jenkinson has tremendous experience in fitting contact lenses, especially for people with unusual eye conditions.
Here at Fresh Vision Optometrists, we like to think of ourselves as the go-to people for contact lenses. ALL types of contact lenses, and there are more than you think:
- Extended wear – you can sleep in these ones!
(Rigid Gas Permeable or RGP)
- Single vision
- Keratoconus lenses – if you have Keratoconus, you’ll know it
- Orthokeratology lenses – these ones are really cool, read on …
There has been a big change in contact lens technology over the past few years, meaning now that almost anyone who wears spectacles could wear contact lenses.
So, what type of lenses are there and what do they do.
Soft Disposable Lenses
These are the mainstay of contact lenses these days. You can think of them either in terms of how often do you change them (typically either monthly, fortnightly or daily) or what they do optically:
Spherical lenses to correct long or short sightedness
Toric lenses to correct astigmatism (that’s the eyeball shaped like a football instead of a soccer ball)
Multifocal lenses for patients over 40 years who need help with reading and in the distance
The big changes over the past few years have been around the material that the contact lens is made out of and the optical performance of lenses, especially multifocal lenses.
With materials, there has been a big shift towards daily disposable lenses: these lenses have slightly lower complication rates, meaning they are healthier for your eyes and because they are changed daily, the comfort does not deteriorate over time like monthly or fortnightly lenses.
Contact lens discomfort is a big cause of people giving up on them and reverting to glasses. A lot of work has gone into making these lenses remain hydrated and more comfortable and therefore be more comfortable during the day.
As for those Orthokeratology or OrthoK lenses we mentioned earlier, well hold onto your hat. OrthoK lenses are small, hard lenses that you wear while you sleep. Overnight they reshape the front of your eye to allow your vision to focus clearly during the day WITHOUT LENSES! Shazam!
OrthoK is a brilliant solution for:
- Swimmers, surfers and watersporters
- Anyone who works in a dusty environment (tradies, miners, gardeners)
- Anyone who is in-and-out of the car all day and doesn’t want to swap glasses constantly
There are limitations for OrthoK, as people with higher prescriptions generally aren’t suited. But if you have a prescription between about +2.00 and -6.00 and want to ditch your glasses, these are awesome. Just ask our Operations Manager, Carmen. She’s been loving them for almost 10 years.
You may also have seen some really cutting edge technology where contact lenses are made to check blood glucose, check eye pressure: not something you would use every day but good to know that there are some really smart people working on contact lenses!
Open Your Eyes to a Bright Future with Contact Lenses in Brisbane
For those who have had to wear glasses all their life, the possibility of contact lenses in Brisbane can seem like a breath of fresh air. These lenses help you see clearly without worrying about losing your glasses even in more active situations. Despite their small size, they can have a significant impact on the way you live your life.
Related Services We Provide to Multifocal Lenses in Brisbane
We provide a full suite of optometry services for our clients. Visit us for any of the following:
- Eye examinations for both children and adults. We’ll complete an examination to ensure that you don’t have any signs of ocular diseases and can adjust your prescription as needed.
- A large variety of eyewear options including both contact lenses and glasses. Select from our stylish, high-quality frames and sunglasses so that you can look as good as you see. We carry popular brands such as Sass & Bide, Gucci, Kate Sylvester, and Mako.
- Specialised screenings for macular degeneration and glaucoma. As we get older, it’s essential to take the time and ensure that we catch these conditions early. Medical science is continually advancing, so the sooner you know about a condition, the more likely we can provide a helpful treatment.
Why Trust Fresh Vision Optometrists Regarding Contact Lens Fitting in Brisbane
Fresh Vision Optometrists has been a fixture in the community for over 30 years. Australian families have continually turned to us for ocular care, trusting us to treat parents and children alike. We value the opportunity to build lasting and meaningful relationships with our clients, so we’ll always provide the personal touch you need to feel comfortable and welcome at our clinic. Contact us today to book an appointment and learn more about the exciting possibilities of Ortho K lenses.